Test Report Date: 14 Apr 15
AUTOBAHN TEST OF RUNCOOL® HOOD LOUVERS
- Test Vehicle: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
- Engine: V6 – 3.8 L (European spec.)
- Other changes made to the car during test: None.
- Hood Louvers Tested: RunCool®, Size Med., Hi-Flow
- Place: Autobahn, Germany (no speed limits)
- Tester: Alex Graas (of Mamer, Luxembourg)
- Experience Driving on Autobahn: “I drive often on the Autobahn at high speeds.”
- Before: Problem Noted (w/o Hood Louvers): “Car starts to wander over 200KM/h (125 mph) and aero uplift.
- Test Hypothesis: “Too much air under the hood that cannot get out therefore creates lift and drag (due to the ‘Umbrella Effect’).”
- Goal: “Better and safer top speed.”
Test Results Report:
- “Now at very high speed, the steering is tighter and the car front is not feeling like it is getting ‘light’, due to reduced aero lift upfront.”
- “Top speed is better by 16 mph! – up from 240 kmh (149 mph) to 265 kmh (165 mph)”.
- “The engine temperature gauge is very slightly down.”
- “The airco [air conditioning] is much cooler!”
- “I can feel the extreme heat coming out [of the Hood Louvers] when I hold my hand over the louvers when idling at normal temperature.”
- “I really like the look of them.”
- “I am extremely pleased with your product!”
- “I do not understand why an OEM does not install them standard.”
- “If someone is not installing your louvers, that person will miss on cooler engine, cooler airco, better speed/mileage, better looks — for little money.”
- “Louvers are so important on the 4WD Hyundai Motorsport Turbo Rally Cars with air restrictor that limits HP to about 350 (w/o air restrictor the cars would produce well over 550 HP, with only 1.6L displacement, but turbo-charged), as the heat under the hood is the main issue, even more than the Umbrella Effect. With my car, the Umbrella Effect is way more important than the heat.”